Here is my portfolio at the end of 2020:
This has been my worst year ever in terms of both absolute and relative performance. At the time of this writing my main account is down -2.96% for the year while the S&P 500 is up 17.46%. I do not hold any of the large technology stocks that done very well this year (though I did hold Apple at the beginning of 2020).
Over the longer term, I have still done well. I started investing in early 2008 (great timing I know) but I have lost the records of my performance prior to 2014. My recollection is that I generally outperformed the market during the 2008 - 2013 period. Since 2014, returns for my main account have averaged 14.1% annually, compared to 12.8% for the S&P 500 over this same time period.
I do not feel any particular concern about having done so badly this year. I do wish I had capitalized better on the dip in prices earlier this year. I bought some but I should have bought even more.
The valuations across my portfolio are generally quite low, especially compared to the broader market. Hopefully that is a set up for a stronger 2021. If I am still doing badly at the end of next year, I may need to reconsider my approach!
No comments:
Post a Comment